Re-marketing based on behavioral triggers like abandoned cart, abandoned search and abandoned view are must do’s for any digital marketer to engage customers and bring them back to your site or app. More often than not it’s very tempting to do just the basics, may be your e-commerce platform vendor gives few out of box “widgets” to replay the content or products and you can tick a box and call it done. But that would be waste of a great opportunity to engage with your users fully at the moment they are most interested in your offerings and showcase the full depth and breadth of your catalog.
Imagine your self in the shoes of your customer – They were on your site or app for a reason. Why did they abandon their visit? Are they looking for better price? Are they looking for affordable alternatives? Are they looking for quality recommendations? Are they looking for things that go along with their previous purchases? Are they looking for hot new products they heard about? Or are they just window shopping? May be it’s mix or all of them and you can’t tell. But you can tell a better story than replaying what they have seen. Multi-touch campaigns over their preferred channel with content personalized to each user are a great way to showcase and up sell your offerings.
Here are few advanced personalization strategies to try, going beyond replaying the products your customer has viewed or added to cart.
- Related Products : “What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?” Based on the product that was abandoned you should consider including these in your messages. Very often this is helpful as a first touch in moving your customer down the conversion funnel helping them make informed choices.
- Up-sell Products : “What are the top sellers in the category of the item viewed”? Based on the category of the product that was abandoned you can showcase your best sellers from those categories and optionally you can restrict it to specific brands.
- Trending Products : May be some of your products are not best sellers yet but they have been recently added to your catalog and are already selling out. Consider including them in your messaging with appropriate call outs.
- Affordable Alternatives : Your catalog likely has a breadth of products that are in the same category but are more affordable. Add them as alternative recommendations.
- Most Discounted Products : Your customers will likely want “quality” products but want them to be affordable getting most value for their money. And may be you are doing seasonal promotions or roll backs. Consider tying them together to the product and category of the abandoned product.
Depending upon your catalog and the number of touch points you have with your customers you can do all of the above or a mix of them. At Blueshift we have built a DIY Personalization Studio to do all of the above and more without needing to go through development or IT cycles. Re-marketing based on behavior triggers is the most effective messaging you can do as a digital marketer. Do not waste a great opportunity to win over the customer by doing just the basics. Learn more about behavioral triggers with our comprehensive e-book. Learn how our clients like UrbanLadder are using advanced personalization strategies to improve their conversion rates by 400%. If you are ready to take your triggered marketing to the next level say hello.